Basic Measurement Uncertainty and its Practical Applications in the Laboratory
The new two-day training (12 CPD units) is designed to give participants the relevant skills and knowledge to apply measurement uncertainty as a requirement of ISO 17025:2017 to laboratory processes.
Feb 27, 2020, 08:30
Feb 28, 2020, 17:30
Steve Janagap, RCh
The accuracy of a measurement result is depicted by measurement uncertainty. It can be conducted through measuring instrument and from other sources (e.g. operator, environment).
The new two-day training course is designed to give participants the relevant skills and knowledge to apply measurement uncertainty as a requirement of ISO 17025:2017 to laboratory processes. It takes a practical approach to measurement uncertainty, where learners will be able to comprehend its importance, causes, mitigation techniques and overall application to test methods in order to report test results with correct uncertainty values.
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Understand the basics and the importance of measurement uncertainty;
- Familiarize themselves with ISO 17025 and the requirements for MU in ISO 17025:2017;
- Identify the sources that cause measurement uncertainty and how to quantify them; and
- Learn how to estimate Measurement Uncertainty in laboratory analyses.
Learners will need to demonstrate acceptable performance in these areas, through workshops, in order to successfully complete the training. This training will soon be accredited by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) for CPD units.
Prior knowledge requirements
A. Basic Chemistry Background
- Concepts of Chemistry (molarity, normality, reagents such as NaOH, KHP, etc.).
B. Chemical Testing / Analysis Practices.
- Basic chemical testing and activities relating to the formulation of calibration curves, standardization, preparation of reagents, analytical chemical techniques, etc.
C. Basic Statistics
- Statistics relating to uncertainty such as standard deviation, concepts on accuracy and precision, proper rounding off, etc.
D. ISO 17025 Familiarization
- Familiar with ISO 17025 requirements, implementation and applications in the laboratory.