SGS 2017 Sustainability Report
SGS today publishes its ninth annual Sustainability Report. This report is aligned with the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) G4 reporting framework at “Comprehensive” level, and it provides a detailed account of our sustainability approach.
For the first time, our Sustainability Report quantifies the value we have provided to society over the year. We have been working since 2014 to develop a framework for measuring the impact of our business across the value chain, in line with our 2020 Sustainability Ambition of delivering measurable sustainable value to society. We have designed a pioneering model that analyzes our quantitative impacts across six capitals. The model identifies the economic, social and environmental costs and benefits of our business activities at a macro level, allowing us to provide an estimated valuation of our value to society in this report and, for the first time, in the SGS Annual Report 2017.
Additional highlights of our 2017 Sustainability Report include:
- Recognition of SGS as a leader in sustainability performance by RobecoSAM, the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, the FTSE4Good Index, EcoVadis and the Euronext Vigeo Index
- A 5.9% reduction in total greenhouse gas emissions (17.8% decrease since 2014)
- Maintenance of our status as a carbon neutral company
- More than 17,000 hours of community volunteering by SGS employees and CHF 1.27 million invested in communities around the world
- 100% employee signoff on our code of integrity and inclusion of a human rights module in our annual integrity training
- A 24.8% decrease in our Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) and a 4.5% decrease in our Lost Time Injury Rate (LTIR)
- An increase of 18.4% in our equal opportunities ratio over the last five years
- 16 nationalities represented across the SGS Management Board and Operations Council
Frankie Ng, CEO of SGS, comments: “Providing an economic measurement of the value we are creating for society is an important step forward for us. By quantifying the impact of our business across the value chain, we are better able to understand our material issues, set our sustainability priorities and improve our strategic decision making.”
For further information, please contact:
Corporate Sustainability Team
t: +41 22 739 91 111
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.